Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Something Positive, For A Change

I pointed this out to the ceramics professor yesterday, and his reaction to my observation was "Why, I think it is excellent".

So, I tried it again today, with one of my student aides, and his reaction was the same. So what was so excellent?

Witness, I am in the college's cafeteria, having purchased my food and waiting for others to join me. I scan the crowd, and a smile slowly spreads over my face. It is packed in the cafeteria, not surprisingly as it is lunch. And, for the most part, I am struck by what a good-looking group of kids there are in the crowd.  And I also notice that this handsome crowd has practically every nationality and ethnic group represented - African-Americans, Asian-Americans, Hispanics, Whites, you name it.

But that's not what I'm smiling about. What I'm smiling about is the fact that they are intermingled at every table.

You see, when I was a kid, you would see the same representative diversity - but they would all be segregated at their own tables. Blacks would be at a black table. Asians at their table, etc. And that was a mere thirty years ago or so.

But these kids, they are all... well, they are looking mighty American. What America is supposed to be.

And that's what I observed, what I liked, what I commented on.

It makes me hopeful. It makes me optimistic. It makes me think that it is a very, very good start.

Maybe our country is finally growing up.

One can hope.

2 comments:

  1. That is a good thing...and as the young people age, perhaps the trend will continue with their children...

    ReplyDelete