Tuesday, December 27, 2022

Internal Monologue

As you are reading this, do you hear your own voice in your head reading the words out loud? I do.

I was astounded to find out that only 30-50% experience this kind of internal monologue. I thought everyone did. I asked my niece and she said no. She experiences no intrapersonal communication, thought without symbol. "Do you?" she asked me. "Of course" "That must be annoying".

It would explain why I can't meditate. My inner voice won't shut up. My mediation sessions always end before they begin, with me yerlling at myself SHUT UP.

But it is not annoying. I entertain myself for hours chattering away. I will crack myself up. And gross myself out. Who is cracking me up and who is cracking the wise cracks? I don't know. For sure this is part of why I have such a rich internal life.

What about other voices? Nope. I don't have alien voices telling me weird things or demanding I self-harm. What about ear worms? Music in your head that just goes on and on and on and on.

Do people without inner monologues experience ear worms? What about mental imagery? I can produce hyper realistic visions in mny head. Is that seperate from inner monolgoue? I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment