Thursday, November 19, 2015

Active Shooter Situation

We've a terrorist drill at the college today. I had to take a DHS class in preparation for this, which, as you might expect, was a circle jerk. I got a certificate of completion for that.

I have a little card in my wallet now, that says "Run Hide Fight". It explains what to do in an active shooter situation. 

The drill isn't really real because everyone knows it is going to happen. I have thought about what to do, since it is all situational, I'm going to do things which I would not have done prior to taking the class, so I suppose it wasn't a complete waste of time.

For example, I've designated our kiln room as sanctuary because it is spacious, there are two exits, and both doors lock automatically when closed. I'm also going to close and lock the tool cage in the woodshop because that has things that can jimmy doors open. Before I lock the tool cage, I grab a nice big crowbar and direct the students to grab all the hammers and heavy throwables.

As you can guess, I find the Run and Hide part distasteful, and contrary to my barbarian nature. I suppose, in some type of horseshit macho fantasy scenario that so many psychotic Americans run through, I will be fierce and victorious. And armed. But that's all horseshit, and anyone with a frontal lobe can see that.

But I amended the DHS plan to Hide (and be ready to Fight), Run (and be ready to Fight) Fight (and have something to Fight with).

But I have stepped up to the plate in real life. I think most people will. Not any kind of heroic scenario, mind you, but what is a hero anyway? Hero through Latin, front the Greek heros, protector. Well, that says to me, someone that can take care of themselves as well as someone else. Notice I said "can take care of themselves" first.

Self-sacrifice? Fuck that. I can't protect you if I'm out of the picture. Like swimmers that abandon drowners that try to drown them, a certain amount of selfishness is involved in this. Not surprising. It's never cut and dried.

Anyway, the drill is about to start, and I've got people to protect, even if it is just practice.

2 comments:

  1. yah, the first thing we learned in wilderness advanced first aid was to not rush in and get your stupid self injured or killed as well but to assess the situation before doing anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had one selfish old lady - perhaps a Ayn Rand relative - close the door on us before we had herded everyone into the safe room. I told her she was responsible for a pile of dead bodies outside the door.

      Delete