Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Mechanical Bacteria Glass Casting

Ceramics and glass people who wait for things to come out of the kiln often compare it to the Christmas Day opening of presents. I, on other hand, view it more as Tiamat going into labor. What kind of hideous grotesque mutilated creation will the Mother of All Monsters be delivered of this time out?

Oh, not all the time. Only whenever I do colored glass. I don't have a good record with pate de verre. I'm just not good at coloring. I put in pink and white. It comes out bruised purple. I put in white and a little green powder. It comes out chunky puke brown. I really should pay more attention to chemical reactions, but I've little patience for loading glass.

I knew a guy that made pots that way. You could not find a more elegant thrower of pots, but when he glazed, it was a series of nightmare choices. Everything was wrong. So, I know I need a partner if I ever decide to pursue glass castings. Preferably female. And hot. Middle-aged cougar hot. (I'm not entirely greedy).

In any case, this one actually didn't turn out too bad. I am continuing the bacteria series, but I'm introducing mechanical elements. I will probably make 3D aluminum sculptures of these mechanical bacteria basso relievo glass castings, to augment the shadow boxes. In any case here we go, first pic is the investment mold fresh out of the kiln, prior to decanting:


Second pic is casting broken out of investment mold:

Third pic is the casting scrubbed, bead-blasted, and rinsed:

Final pic is the casting in the aluminum frame, awaiting placement in a wooden shadow box I will build later this week:  


4 comments:

  1. Looks very outer spacey. Bead blast? Glass bead? We've never done that but I'd like to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the container says it is a grit size of 100-170. Gives the glass a finish in between satin and semi-gloss. Gets all the investment scuzz off. Beats the heck out of hand polishing with wet/dry sandpaper.

      Delete
  2. Dude, just the photos are cool enough to hang in ones home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, man. I'll be cranking out more of them as kilns become available.

      Delete