I found this list in the comment section of a Yahoo news piece about a truly horrid looking repulsive little pudge ball named Frank "Hey Frank! You're an Idiot!" Luntz. The list is by someone named Walter, but it sounds suspiciously like something I recall being put out by the Green Party of America. I tried to do some research, which, of course, consisted of perhaps a 30 second google search. In other words, I put in zero effort to trace the source.
Regardless, there are some sound ideas in here. Others sounds like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. My occasional thoughts below in italics. After reading through and commenting, I'm seeing that most of these items are actually kind of limited horizon short-term small visions fixes. Like most legislation, so what the fuck, try 'em anyway.
1) End Corporate Personhood (Keep Human Rights OUR Rights)
2) Reverse Citizens United (Corporate Money is Not Free Speech)
1) & 2) pretty much the same goal, no? How to do this? One suggestion is a constitutional amendment to limit corporate and special interest monies in politics. I don't see this happening for a number of legal and real world reasons. Rather than restricting corporate funding, how about making it completely transparent? That seems a lot easier to do, and it's probably constitutional.
3) Prohibit All Former and Future Congressmen or Staff from being a Paid Lobbyist.(Get Out of Washington)
4) Prohibit Any Lobbyist from offering ANY Monetary Compensation, Gift
or Job or any future promise of the same to Any Congressman, or
Congressmen’s Family, Staff or Federal Employee Directly involved with
congress. (Congress Not For Sale)
End the revolving door between the Capitol and K Street? Ain't gonna happen. No more than prohibiting the selection of candidates for memberships on corporate board of directors. However, the selection field, like for those of the CEO field, could be broadened beyond the usual short list of asshole cocksuckers.
5) Apply All Conflict of Interest and Insider Trading Laws to Congress. (End Market Manipulation)
I believe I've read OWS objections along this line. This is completely doable and should be done right now.
6) Hold all Business Interests, Stock Bonds, and Assets in a Blind Trust
During the Term of Office or at the very least, 2 Weeks Before Congress
is in Session and end 30 Days After the Session. (Keep Congress Honest,
This is completely doable. Not sure what impact it would have, as a congress person could always have an "informed" third party handle their finances to get around this.
7) Prohibited Tax Breaks for Any Companies SENDING Jobs Overseas! End
All Tax Breaks for Companies That Eliminate American Jobs. (Preserve
Not workable. Drop this.
8) Granted Tax Breaks to Companies for BRINGING Overseas Jobs BACK to the U.S.(Repatriate American Jobs)
Unworkable, and easily abused (a proviso for permanent job transfer in there? Nah. How to verify? Unworkable.) Drop this.
9) Promote Tax cuts for small businesses and the middle-class families
who rely on their entrepreneurship. (Small Business Jobs and Credit)
Something like this already exists. Simply a matter of adding enough gov't staff to implement it.
10) Closed All Existing Tax Loopholes That Allow The Wealthy and Big
Corporations to Abuse the Tax Credit System. (End Loophole Abuse)
Wow. Something even Republicans can get behind. Which is why it won't happen.
11) Reinstall the separation between commercial banking and the
securities business, a return to Glass–Steagall Act of 1933 Strengthen
‘The Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act “ (Work
to Protect Consumers)
Doable. But open to abuse (there are whole law firms dedicated to Frank-Dodd interpretation). Do ti anyway.
12) Use Antitrust Laws to Break Up “Too Big to Fail” Banks, Financial institutions and Corporations.
Me, I'd just nationalize the fuckers, but, uh, oh wait, that's real socialism isn't it?
13) Restore Equal Justus By Applying the Law to Persons “Too Big To Jail”
I think Walter meant "justice". But, nah, no need. This is already in place. It's an enforcement issue.
14) End All Oil Subsidies to Multinational Oil Companies. (No Oil Welfare)
Yeah, even though it won't make much difference... unless Walter's talking about the defense subsidy as well. In which case, ain't gonna happen. Inertia.
15) Tax Every Stock Transaction at .001% On the Total Value of the
Stock to End Multi Nanosecond Computer Trading That Artificially Drive
up Stock Bubbles. (Restore Stock Market Sanity)
Now, this one has been kicked around forever, and, if I am not mistaken, places like Hong Kong and Singapore - free market darlings - have this and business has suffered not one wit. Do it.
16) Tax All Bonuses and Stock Options in Lieu of Corporate Bonuses as
Standard income under $10,000, Tax Bonuses at 25% under $75,000 and at
50% above $75,000 (An American Bonus)
I'd... have to look at this one more closely.
17) Prohibit Any Bank that Contracts to Handle Any Public Benefits
Program from Charging Any Fee to Any Recipient of Those Programs. Banks
can only Receive a Flat Negotiated Fee the Government. (End Banking
Can't see the harm. Do it.
18) Provide For Publicly Owned Banks (State and National) to Handle the
Peoples and Taxpayers Money, To Be Accountable to the Interest of the
I like it, but, oh, whoa. Socialism. See 12).
19) Increase Taxes on the wealthy by Increasing the Capital Gains Tax
with a flat yearly exemption for all, Increase the Upper Income Tax to
50% deduction are allowed for U.S. Jobs, Manufacturing and Capital
investment within the United States. (Tax Power and Control)
There's no question that huge chunks of the debt would disappear if the parasite class was made to contribute to the health of the nation. Considering how much wealth they've hoovered up these past 30 years...
20) Rebuild Americas Infrastructure Build Roads and Bridges, Schools and Factories. (America First!)
Fuck yeah! We really are looking like a seedy rundown nation. At least board up the shitty spots with murals, like the Soviets used to do.